CARRABASSETT ADVENTURE RIDE & CRNEMBA PARTY
Saturday, September 24, 2022
Noon to 9:00PM
We invite you to the Carrabassett Adventure Ride (part of NEMBA's Mountain Bike Adventure Series) & CRNEMBA Party on Saturday, September 24, at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center in Carrabassett Valley, Maine. Ride the epic trails of the Carrabassett Valley trail network and enjoy the beautiful fall foliage! Join us for riding fun followed by a BBQ/potluck feast and short, informal meeting with CRNEMBA Board members to celebrate the year’s accomplishments and learn what’s next.
Riders of all abilities are welcome and invited. There will be group rides at 1:00 PM for all levels of riders: beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Volunteer guides will show you the trail system with riders of similar ability with an emphasis on having fun and connecting with fellow riders. See ride descriptions below.
BEGINNER RIDE: If you are new to mountain biking or just want a relaxed cruise in the fall sun, this ride is for you! This ride will focus on fun and be adjusted depending on the group’s aspirations but expect to be pedaling for a couple of hours. We will not leave anyone behind and will split the group if needed to match ability levels.
INTERMEDIATE RIDE: The intermediate ride will be approximately 2 hours on varied terrain. Pace will be conversational and the ride will be no-drop.
ADVANCED RIDE: The advanced ride will be approximately 2-1/2 hours on intermediate to advanced terrain. The route will be dictated by the group but will include larger climbs and will be no-drop.
WHO IS INVITED:
Anyone with or without a bike, from the Valley or beyond, and current NEMBA members and soon-to-be members who want to be introduced to the trail network and CRNEMBA, to just ride the trails, or most importantly, to have some fun!
Bike rentals will be available at Allspeed Carrabassett (located at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center). For info about Allspeed's bike rentals, including reservations, visit www.allspeed.com or call Allspeed Carrabassett at 207-779-3951. In addition, bike rentals will also be available at Carrabassett Valley Bike; call 207-235-6019 to make a reservation.
We expect our party and BBQ/potluck feast to begin at approximately 4:30’ish at the Outdoor Center, after the group rides. We'll be grilling burgers and hot dogs and would welcome anyone bringing along a potluck side dish to add to the feast (food may be dropped off on Saturday, the day of the event - there is a refrigerator inside the Outdoor Center for refrigerated items). Beer will be available for purchase.
INFORMAL ANNUAL MEETING (5:30 PM):
Please join us for a short, informal meeting with CRNEMBA Board members to celebrate the year’s accomplishments and learn what’s next.
Registration will be available at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center, beginning at noon. Save time by signing up online, before the event. Visit https://member.nemba.org/event-4971680 to sign up.
Guided rides and BBQ are included (proceeds will be donated to CRNEMBA). See pricing below:
- CRNEMBA members or members from any NEMBA chapter: $10/person suggested donation
- Non-NEMBA members: $25/person
- Renewing or joining NEMBA the day of the event: Free
(Cost of NEMBA memberships: $40/individual; $60/family)
- Kids ages 15 and under: Free with a registered parent or guardian
New/renewed NEMBA memberships are greatly appreciated and help to build, maintain, and protect the trails that we enjoy riding! The yearly NEMBA membership cost is $40/individual or $60/family and includes a year's worth of NEMBA's magazine AND privileges/discounts. Save time at registration by signing up for a membership before the event; visit nemba.org/join for more info and to sign up. NEMBA is an educational 501 (c) 3 non-profit.
Please park at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center, in the lower parking lot.
Our gear will be available for purchase; all proceeds go to the trails!
- Mens and Ladies T-shirts: $20
- Hats: $25
- Sweatshirts: $40
- Our website includes lodging and campground info; you'll find both under the "Visit" tab on our website at carrabassettnemba.org - You can also find local lodging info at https://www.mainesnorthwesternmountains.com/ - Please note that the huts at Maine Huts & Trails (Flagstaff, Poplar, and Stratton Brook Huts) are open for full hut group rentals only.
- Sugarloaf Mountain is offering 10% off lodging at the Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel for standard alcove hotel rooms only. Discount is valid 9/23 – 9/25. Call 1-800-THE-LOAF to book your reservation and mention this offer to receive the 10% discount.
- Camping will be allowed at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center the night of our party. Campers must be parked in the lower parking lot, near the woods/grass. Grey and black water must be stored within vehicle storage tanks; there is no water supply or dumping station available. Camp fires are not permitted. Tents may be set up in the stadium/field area but off to the side (near the woods) and not blocking the stadium zone area. Tents may also be set up in lower parking lot area (near the woods/grass). Restroom facilities inside the Outdoor Center will only be open during normal business hours; however, the showers will be closed.
Please plan accordingly by bringing a lunch or visiting one of the local restaurants. D'Ellies, located at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain, offers online ordering; visit http://www.dellies.net/ - The Hostel of Maine's website includes a local restaurant guide; it can be found at https://www.hostelofmaine.com/local-restaurants - It's always best to check the restaurants' websites and/or Facebook pages for up-to-date hours of operation. As the Hostel of Maine is located near the Outdoor Center, the distance to the restaurants is a similar to the distance from the trails. You can also find local restaurant info at https://www.mainesnorthwesternmountains.com/
EVENT GOAL: The goal for this event includes a celebration of our bike community and further recruitment of members. The trail system here in Carrabassett Valley remains free to ride and thanks to the remarkable support we receive from our members, volunteers, sponsors, and partners, our trail network will continue to expand! We're also incredibly grateful to the landowners who allow us to use their land for outdoor recreation. As is always the practice for CRNEMBA, financial proceeds will be directed towards further development of CRNEMBA and the trail system we are creating with our partners.
We hope you can join us on September 24!
You must sign NEMBA's Annual Waiver to participate in this event